Now just a few first impressions cause my time is running out:
1. If you smile without reason on the street, you are taken for an idiot. Do not smile.
2. Hotpants and stilettos are perfectly acceptable for 12 degree Celsius rainy weather.
3. Follow, always, the advice (strict advice) of your Russian babushka host mom, and you'll be fine.
4. If you smile and don't talk in the admissions office, you are taken for an idiot as well, but one who cannot communicate either. Avoid that.
5. Taking an admissions test of 170 questions and 1 hour length, just to be put in the class that you were supposed to be in anyways, is perfectly acceptable. Don't question.
6. If you are yelled at in Russian, just get up/out of the way/stop whatever you are doing and say a doe-eyed 'Izvinite'. Don't question.
Following these tips, you should be fine in Russia as of my latest experiences. It basically runs down to - do not smile without reason and do not question the system. Pretty basic, if you think it over.